Sunday, April 17, 2011

Recent Paintings/Prints

Here are some pictures from my painting and printmaking classes!


This is an 18x24 woodcut print. Woodcut is one of the most self-explanatory types of printmaking. You just cut out what you don't want to show up, roll ink over the top and press it down on a piece of paper. Just like a big, wooden stamp.

 This is the first painting assignment that we had this semester (that wasn't a still life). The assignment was to create a non-representational painting. This assignment was really fun because our teacher is a non representational painter whose work is really stunning, so we had some really nice feedback. 

This is an 18x24 piece that was based on a still life that we were able to create inside a box. This is the first, most realistic version of it.

Our next assignment was to create a response to the box that we had just painted. This project was very open ended and allowed us to emphasize whatever we liked doing in the first project. I decided that I wanted to do an abstracted, deconstructed, geometric version of the first one and here is what it looks like. Oh, and it's big. 48x60ish

This, believe it or not, is also a response to that first box painting. She said that we should take our original ideas and apply them to something new and just get creative with it. It definitely pushed me away from what I was doing and forced me to create a piece that was very different from the rest of the pieces I had been doing this year. 

 This was originally going to be my third response but I abandoned it. I do intend to revisit it though because I really like where it was going. 

Here is my first attempt at a watercolor piece. It is 18x24. The assignment was to base a piece off of a stamp that we were given. It is pretty hard to see it in the piece because it is so small, but I tried to create an image and then juxtapose the original stamp on top of it. This is still unfinished.  

Here is a Deepcut from the David M. Cook collection as there are only 5 of them and they are all on newsprint. I was extremely satisfied with the image (Kool Herc; the man credited with the invention of hip hop) but unfortunately it is gone forever because I ruined the stone it was drawn on by not properly etching it. I will let you know what that means as soon as I figure it out myself. Long story short, I messed up the process and still haven't figured it out yet, but if you can get your hands on one of these, then one day when I am a famous artist it could be worth millions.


No comments:

Post a Comment